Monday, March 19, 2007

Crystal Kay

Recently, while in Osaka, I had a conversation about J-pop (Japanese Pop) with a young woman. The two of us, sitting in Seattle's Best Coffee-in Osaka-exchanged glances as I passed her in my search for a table. I like to sit by the window and read, while working in some good people watching.

I'm usually left to my own devices, so when Yuka tapped me on the shoulder and asked where I was from, I was a little taken aback. I told her I was from New York and she gave me that slightly impressed look you get from people who have never been to the place you're from, but have seen it in movies. It's almost as if you've announced you have magic powers. It's understandable though, I guess it's almost how I felt about Osaka before I came.

I digress. The point is, the J-pop star I know the best is Crystal Kay. Yuka seemed impressed when I mentioned her name. Kay's father is an African-American bassist and her mother is third generation Japanese of Korean decent and a professional singer. Kay was born in Yokohama and has been singing professionally since she was about 13. I'm posting one of her videos for you to check out.



There are a lot of interesting conversations about people of mixed race in Japan. I've been searching for information for a while. I've come across a few message boards.

It's interesting to explore, given the often very nationalist tones in the country's history. Younger generations, as it often goes in most cultures, have slowly been beginning to embrace the differences. It's a process of course, moments of progress and set backs. I have big hopes though.

J-pop is pop music as you would expect it to be, but of course in Japanese. Adults and teenagers alike love it and admit it openly. I think, whether she intends to or not, Crystal Kay is a little more than just another J-pop princess.

Oh, but please note the black "Barbie" in the beginning and end of the video. I would comment further...but I just don't think I have to.

- Ashleigh Rae

2 comments:

qishaya said...

abercrombiefitch.uk.com propose Concise design model, whether it is Abercrombie fitch or a shirt, jacket is a good array oh.Ultra-Zan’s pants manner. buy Abercrombie Make up your body a little less than the curve.Abercrombie sale Easily with any clothing, different shoes and boots with different styles. Both kind, genial comfort, you can also cool very special Abercrombie .Designed to highlight hurtful the chest, waist and hip, quite close, sexy extraordinary.Companies consider the use of at least 4 time in-gravity Japanese market. Ginza stockroom Abercrombie & FitchAbercrombie Sweaters may be the most costly ever built one of the flagship storeroom, flagship stockpile in cheap Abercrombie compared to superior construction expenses for 1800-2000 million. The circle spokesman said in Tokyo supplies opened for the Abercrombie & Fitch's worldwide growth policy in provisos of a very important measure. Ginza supply is the circle's first mass in Asia, the business campaign to open next year in Fukuoka, Japan, out of a moment Asian restaurant. However, abercrombie stores the spokeswoman did not disclose more shop list.present high level and high assess clothing for youngsters. The food extended of Abercrombie and Fitch embrace not only casual wears,breitling watches, shirts and dresses for the youngsters but it also includes luxury matter such as perfumes and discount Abercrombie accessories. The new limit of yield from Abercrombie and Fitch has superb designs for kids and teenagers. The strain is also recognized for its advertisements,model watches, where you have physically attractivpoorly clad men and women, who begin vigorous, abercrombie outlet enthusiastic, smart and outgoing.Abercrombie 2010

buyi said...

To the dismay abercrombie of the empire, teenagers whose parents have cut back on their allowances may be coming to a recessionary revelation:Paying $90 for torn jeans isn't that cool anymore.While other retailers are responding to the downturn with red-lined price tags and tempting promotions, upscale Abercrombie & Fitch isn't budging on its price points. This scarf, for example, will still cost you $58. The company is fiercely protecting its image as a "premium" brand, and, as a result, it's getting snubbed big time by its once cultlike, ever-loyal fan base abercrombie