Wednesday, May 2, 2007

We Love the Hate/ My Job is a Sinking Ship/ Dollar Day in New Orleans

There are some days when we go looking through the headlines for blog entries and we come across so many things that would be PERFECT for the day. For this entry, we’ve decided to reference a number of the things that made us twist our faces in confusion, shake our heads with disgust and one or two things that just made us smile.

This is obviously a joke, right? All the same, Crawford does bring up interesting points, and his silences bring up a couple more. Black women, as we all know, are outperforming their male counterparts in pretty much every arena of achievement. The problem with all of the misogyny in rap music, as it is being reported, is that it is hurtful to black women and warping black relationships. But what's also disturbing to me is the unquestioned heterosexist framing of the issue.

Yesterday was Loyalty Day! English teachers teaching Orwell get excited in the classroom.

Maybe I’m just slow on the uptake, but did anybody else know there’s a US Military channel on youtube.com? The US military hasn’t come up with such an effective way to market itself since its “Army of One” campaign. Some are arguing the DIY-nature of the videos on the site are an attempt by the military to clean up its besmirched image. I don’t know though. After watching a number of the videos on the site I’m left with even more a feeling of dissatisfaction than I get from watching FOX news reports.

And to round it out. One word, wolosso. Women in Guinea are being stripped naked and beaten for performing the wolosso dance made popular by local artist, Dollar DJ. The dance itself reminds me of many others I’ve seen since high school. I fully recognize that my subdued reaction to the dance is a direct result of my experiences and understand that some of the outrage created in Guinea is a result of the experiences and concerns there. None of that understanding though, excuses the violence.

In quantifiably more important news, The Hip Hop Project debuts May 11th to audiences who seem torn by the very existence of the film rather than the topics it covers. Produced by new film duo Bruce Willis and Queen Latifah, and directed by Matt Ruskin (think, Requiem for a Dream) the credit oddities alone seem to be enough to generate discussion. Not sure what this will do for ticket sales, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see

Word.

1 comment:

Wendi Muse said...

I really hope the Crawford article was a joke, though I think the comments on the article are more disturbing than the article itself. I feel that saying that black women outperform black men academically and occupationally as if to excuse the hatred and objectification of women of color in mainstream hip hop is a lame one at best. I don't wear my degree or job title on my forehead, and even the fact that I don't wear revealing clothes certainly doesn't save me from being "hollered at" in the streets, called a "b*itch" if I don't reply, or being touched by random strangers on the subway...many of whom may well be influenced by the popular images that demonstrate that women who look like me are sexual property for men. My very skin is enough to bring me down to a level of being objectified publicly, whereas, and I have witnessed this with my own eyes quite often, a woman who is white, for example, and may be very beautiful is not touched, yelled at, or verbally accosted to the same degree as my black, brown, tan, and beige friends (read: black, multiracial, or non-white Latinas). At the end of the day, I'm just another black girl, suit or jeans, Harvard or high school, high rise or projects...many of us boil down to objects in the streets... and i have *mainstream* hip hop and the perpetuation of stereotypes of women in their videos to thank for that. i don't think the problem can be entirely blamed on hip hop, and i caution others not to do so, but i certainly think it helps if the people providing the license (aka such behavior is condoned/encouraged by many videos/lyrics and even public appearances) look like *us*.