Friday, February 15, 2008

Marvin Gaye's Hear, My Dear Turns 30


This year will mark the 30th anniversary of the release of Marvin Gaye’s Here, My Dear. An album that was not considered successful by critics, much of his listening audience and didn’t sell well in late 1978. Here, My Dear was controversial for one because all proceeds from record sales were highly publicized to be a part of his divorce settlement from his ex-wife Anna (Gordy) Gaye. The album was also controversial because Marvin fully exposed the vulnerabilities of heartbreak as he chronicled the unraveling of his first marriage and toppled established ideas of what a concept album was.

Rumors still abound about Marvin recording an inferior album to cheat Anna out of their agreed upon settlement but they are incorrect. Above all Marvin was an artist, earnest and devoted to his craft. Here, My Dear continues to be defining as testimony to this Hip-O Select (Universal Music Group’s reissue label) recently released a remastered deluxe CD of Here, My Dear and disc two entitled, Hear, My Dear has some of today’s finest producers and musicians interpreting tracks from the original album.

Marvin spoke about the bitter and the sweet of love while simultaneously blowing listeners away with the places he explored artistically. With Here, My Dear he immortalized himself as a gifted visionary and exposed to all of us a man; imperfect.


-Adisa Vera Beatty

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love all Marvins albums but Here My Dear moved me the most.His passing and birthday just passed and my heart in still heavy from the loss of this wonderful man.